The International Pharmaceutical Abstracts (IPA) database is the primary source for drug information. It provides worldwide coverage of pharmacology, pharmacy and health related literature from 1970 to the present, and is updated monthly. Produced by Thomson Scientific since 2005 (prior to that it was produced by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, IPA citations come from approximately 750 journals and all U.S. state pharmacy journals. IPA provides comprehensive information for drug therapy, toxicity, and pharmacy practice as well as legislation, regulation, technology, utilization, biopharmaceutics, information processing, education, economics, and ethics as related to pharmaceutical science and practice. A unique feature of the abstracts included for clinical studies is the inclusion of the study design, number of patients, dosage, dosage forms and dosage schedule.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
User tools and features
- Journal alerts and Search history alerts.
- Compatible with RefWorks.
- Saved searches. Free My EBSCOHost account required.
- A visual search tab allows the user to search efficiently across broad subjects, and then returns a visual map of results, organized by topic.
- iPhone and Android applications.
Type of coverage
Citations with abstracts.
Print counterpart or
International Pharmaceutical Abstracts
Vendor/electronic presentation provider