The Birth of LSM - Celebrating the 25th Anniversary
As early as 1952, Rutgers University considered building a separate science library on the Busch campus. This science library, as well as a proposed science complex, was never built. In 1962, the dean of the Medical School proposed that a combined medical and science library be established. This library was originally conceived as a merger of existing collections to be moved to a central New Brunswick location for use by all physicians in the state. This merger also never took place.
In 1963, James Barry was appointed librarian to oversee the development of a library for the sciences. This library was located on the third floor of what is now Alexander Library.
Grant funds were obtained to bring the medical collection up to par. Plans for a new building were begun in 1964. The library officially became the Library of Science and Medicine in July of 1964. After much controversy and many design changes due to inadequate funding, the present building was completed in August 1970. Also in 1970, the Medical School was officially separated from Rutgers University and is now known as the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), thus forcing the library to deal with two separate administrative structures. Agreements between UMDNJ and Rutgers were made to provide funding and support for collections and staffing.
The character of the library has changed from a medical library serving the science campus to a university science library also serving a medical school.