169 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163
As Data Librarian, I serve as the primary expert within the New Brunswick/Piscataway Libraries on datasets and statistical methods, assisting the Rutgers community in locating, using, and archiving datasets, and with developing services for the management of research data. My academic background includes Master's degrees in economics, library science, and statistics (completing in 2015).
Ryan Womack, “The Orientation and Training of New Librarians for Business Information”, Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, volume 13, issue 3, 2008, pp. 217-226.
Ryan Womack, “Basic Business Dictionaries Compared”, Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, volume 10, issue 4, 2005, pp. 3-14.
Ryan Womack, “Information Intermediaries and Optimal Information Distribution”, Library and Information Science Research, volume 24, issue 2, 2002, pp. 129-155. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8188(02)00109-3. Preprint in RUcore.
Ryan Womack, “Bel Jour: A discipline-specific portal to periodicals”, Information Technology and Libraries, volume 21, number 2, 2002, pp. 81-86. Preprint in RUcore.
As Data Librarian, my work includes:
- Developing and supporting public-facing data services in response to the needs of the Rutgers community (such as instructional programs, specialized services involving restricted data, and support for new technologies and methodologies).
- Promoting the publicly available data services of the Libraries through outreach, in-person instruction, the creation of instructional materials/guides, and consultation, and via collaboration with subject-specialist librarians and researchers.
- Working with teaching faculty, librarians, and other campus partners to support quantitative reasoning and quantitative aspects of information literacy in the curriculum.
- Identifying and acquiring data resources in collaboration with other librarians and staff, and managing existing data collections.
- As the specialist for numeric data, quantitative research methods, data visualization and data analysis, providing support for projects of RUcore, the Rutgers Community Repository, that are data-intensive, as well as consultation and reference on these topics to the Rutgers community in general.
- In collaboration with the Research Data Manager, participating in the development of research data services. These include data management consultation and training, archiving in RUcore, and developing and refining the Libraries’ policies and guidelines relating to data management.
- Serving as Official Representative to ICPSR, on the New Jersey State Data Center Advisory Board, and as an active member of IASSIST.
Prior to immersing myself in the world of data, I served as Business and Economics Librarian, including a term as Chair of BRASS.