Minutes of the February 27, 2014 Meeting
- N. Wadley (chair), J. Reinhart, E. Fizur, V. Cvetkovic, D. Voorhees (recording), B. Lipinski, M. Tokar, Y. Ishii, D. Meister, R. Krack, R. Barbalace, J. Teichmann, D. Hamlette, Y. Zhu, P. Young, K. Haviland, A. Martinez, T. Meyer
- M. Harris-Clark, V. Cvetkovic,
- C. Sterback, Z. Bonianian
- G. Sandberg, M. Harris-Clark, K. Reavie
1. eReserves authentication update (Bonianian, Young)
- The January 24th initial rollout of the new authenticated ereserve system was met with some technical issues with specific browsers.
- The launch had to be pulled back. Changes have been implemented, testing is currently underway. Things look nearly ready for reintroduction.
- At least one week's notice will be given before going live again.
- Concerns discussed:
- Educating faculty effectively during a mid-semester switch might be problematic, and a cause for consideration of postponement to the summer.
- Some Robeson users also need to be considered as they host Rowan and Camden county ereserve services, that would be excluded as no NetIDs are available to these users.
- Reserve lists are identified by major campus area, and cannot be referential to identical courses taught in another campus area. This is a minor change and would take place largely behind the scenes to users.
- The resolution by general consensus was that reintroduction should be pursued sooner rather than later, providing that alternate arrangements could be made for Camden based groups needing them. There are several benefits to mid-semester rollout, including timely copyright compliance, ease of technical transition, and the work that has already been invested in the current semester lists.
2. Text Messaging and Change to Proxy Extract for Off-Campus Access (Sterback)
- The text messaging project was briefly tabled due to the time sensitivity of the ILS server migration and other factors, but is now underway again.
- Anyone (system-wide) willing to use their personal cell phone is encouraged to sign up for testing the recalls and hold text messaging services, now available in the production system, but not available for public use.
- Launch dates will be set after more rigorous testing is done, and will likely occur after the completion of the spring semester, but before the end of the fiscal year.
- Registration forms for the website will need to be generated, but the cell phone field already exists within Workflows.
- Chris also shared that IIS has been investigating tightening the proxy extract
- The new extract will follow the model of the ILLIAD and E-ZBorrow extracts and only output users that don't have NetIDs. Tightening the extract will insure that only the users that should be using a barcode and PIN are the only ones that can use it to log in. Users with legitimate NetIDs should be using LDAP credentials to log in.
- Chris checked the users that logged in with barcode via the proxy since November. Out of the 249 users that logged in with a barcode, 184 are legitimate barcode login users and 65 are not. Most of the 65 users appear to be current Rutgers affiliates with NetIDs but there are a handful that are no longer current and would be correctly excluded from logging in.
- Exceptions can be made as necessary, but will need to be coordinated with IIS to insure any changes are not overwritten in the weekly load of user records.
- ASC members requested that the change in the proxy extract not happen the same week as the rollout of the new ereserve authentication system to avoid any confusion of potential issues associated with either change.
3. 2013/14 Action Plan status of access components (All)
- Goal 1: Implement a service that sends text messages in Symphony 3.4.1 SP2 for Hold pickup and Recall messages.
Status: In progress and nearing completion as noted in above, (agenda item 2).
- Goal 2: Implement and introduce UBorrow, the CIC's unmediated request service.
Status: Complete. UBorrow has been up and running since October 2013.
- Goal 3: Integrate Docline into ILLiad workflows.
Status: In progress. The work related to this goal will begin in earnest in March and should move forward quickly. This seems feasible to accomplish in the current year, although there is a complication that two separate Docline accounts will need to be integrated into the system.
- Goal 4: Implement NetID authentication at the course roster level for e-Reserves.
Status: In progress, nearing completion as noted above, (agenda item 1).
- Goal 5: Participate with reference librarians in developing the READ scale for RUL and introduce its use at Circulation Desks.
Status: More coordination is needed. Work is not fully underway yet and this goal is unlikely to be met in the current year. Meetings with reference will need to be set.
- Goal 6: Develop a workflow for digitizing out of copyright works from the RUL collections and make them available in RUcore.
Status: In progress, on hold. The digital preservation team has met several times and a draft for potential workflow and process was developed. The process is on hold as per the RUL digital priorities memo, which states that, a systemic approach to "Digital Preservation of RU collections - [is] on hold as we develop plan that includes collaborative options."
4. Group Updates (Function group leaders)
- B. Lipinski (Circulation and Public Services)
- Statistical review indicates that 69% of incident reports are theft related. Recent arrests and identification of perpetrators are hopeful developments but continued patron education remains paramount.
- The text notification project is ongoing with much input from the group.
- R. Krack (Collection Management)
- Shelf space database project is underway.
- A building level online map project is in exploratory phase right now.
- The purpose would be directional to specific places in the building.
- Princeton University Libraries currently have building maps that might serve as a template for the project.
- One ambition being considered (if possible) is an integrated map and shelf database, which could serve as a finding aide application.
- Purchase of specific data logging equipment will be proposed to support the needs of this project.
- P. Young (Reserves)
- eReserve authentication project is underway.
- A small adjustment was made to the Access Services Systems Calendar that we will carry on going forward.
- R. Barbalace (Student Coordinators)
- The group will be holding a small poster session about student involvement in library work and their role as liaisons to the university community.
- The second week of April is Student Appreciation Week. The group has been approved for modest funding for tokens of appreciation, (pizza parties, gift cards, grab bags, etc.).
- J. Teichmann (Training and Learning)
- The group is available to any other group or committee that has a need for coordinating specific training.
5. ILL and DOCLINE integration
- As mentioned in the year end goal progress above, the work related to this integration is set to begin in March, but should be feasible in the current FY.
6. Shipping in Newark - RBHS issues
- Receiving mail at Smith has been extremely problematic due to several factors.
- The campus mail delivery has been sporadic due to the inclement weather, and only arriving twice per week under ideal conditions.
- The loading dock was recently moved to the other side of the building to accommodate prioritized receipt of medical equipment. Books sometimes do not make the transfer after they are loaded in from the opposite end of the building.
- Delays have resulted in term loan expirations before users have had an opportunity to check out.
- Some mail is also still being to vaguely addressed, (e.g. To: "Smith"). Please note that up to date mailing labels are posted on the website under Staff Resources > Public Services.
7. Borrowers chart updates (Wadley)
- Senior auditors do have borrowing privileges and this will be reflected on the chart.
- They must have a RU Connection Card, as per Rutgers wide policy to audit a class, and must fill out a form to determine their expiration date.
8. General updates and information sharing
- M. Tokar, (LSM) -
- Michele asked ASC members if they still regularly used the contact lists under staff resources. Most group members said they did use them. Michele will update the lists and send them out on Google Docs for staff to update as necessary.
- The Chem Ref collection is now temporarily located on the 3rd floor of LSM at the end of the Z periodicals.
- The entire LSM collection is being measured for use with the new collection management space tool.
- The first floor of LSM is extremely cold. Staff and students have had to wear jackets and gloves at the circulation desk the entire winter. Facilities is aware of the problem.
- Marty Katz has retired after 35 years of service to the libraries.
- N. Wadley, (System-wide) -
- Reciprocal borrowers from VALE and PALCI institutions are able to borrow materials in person. There is a form that needs to be filled buried deep in the staff pages. This is a very rare occurrence, but these privileges should be honored when appropriate.
- The Access Services Systems Calendar will be drafted and distributed in May for input and suggested revisions.
- B. Lipinski, (Kilmer) -
- Grace McGarty is currently out on medical leave. Paul Young is filling in. Joe Asaro is a sole staff member present on Saturdays for the time being.
- The business school has given Kilmer a Bloomberg Terminal, which is now available for use at Kilmer.
- Chairs in the at the first floor computer workstations need replacement. They were used chairs from Alexander's SCC brought to Kilmer when the new OIT lab was built. Now, they are over 10 years old and all are in a permanent lean-back mode.
- C. Sterback, (IIS) - Patron purge will go forward during spring break.
- Y. Zhu, (Smith) - Ermira Mitre, a new Library technician was recently hired.
- A. Martinez, (Douglass) - Bill Lynch has left RUL to work at the New Jersey Conservation Foundation.
- R. Krack, (Alexander) -
- Weeding is underway in collaboration with selectors.
- There is an effort to use the spatial database for mathematical formulation in collection shifting. This would be a more efficient process and would allow for more planned decision making.
- J. Reinhart (Media) - The Media Department had an open house that was poorly attended due to being sandwiched between major snow events. Future open houses will be planned in more moderate seasons.
- D. Meister (Annex) - The work related to the Chemistry relocation is ongoing, 62 boxes were transferred in all.
- D. Voorhees (Imaging Services) -
- The department is working on a few scanning projects that have been or will be deposited into RUcore.
- Either RU info or other means of referral have directed very large print jobs to the department. Our equipment is not suited for these kinds of jobs, which used to go to Mail and Document Services. Will follow up with RUinfo and generally inform that these types should most likely be outsourced.
- Y. Ishii (Dana) -The leadership of Dana Access Services has transferred from Keir Reavie to Natalie Borisovets.
- D. Hamlette (RWJ) -
- The RWJ Library has seen a large increase in departments booking the RWJ computer labs for exams. Also, they are increasingly booking further in advance, we have exams booked for Sept already.
- Increase in patrons stopping by or calling for navigation and login assistance for the Rutgers Libraries.
- During the recent snow thaw, a couple of weeks ago, the library had flooding causing pools of water to form on the carpeting.
- E. Fizur (Robeson) -
- The renovations to the second floor will not be done by the end of spring break as projected, but rather sometime in July.
- Recent incoming ILL intended for other libraries has been misdirected to Robeson.
Next meeting: Thursday, March 13, 2014