Libraries to Screen Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook
Rutgers University Libraries (New Brunswick) will observe National Voter Registration Day, September 22, by airing the documentary Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook in partnership with the producers, the American Issues Initiative. This award-winning film exposes the nefarious tactics used to suppress the vote and sparks discussion on the actions needed to protect our democracy. The event is part of a fall series to encourage campus-wide dialogue about the 2020 election. You can pre-screen the film prior to the event, then from 5:45 to 7 p.m. on September 22, followed by a panel discussion on Zoom from 7 to 8:30 pm. Register for the Zoom session here. We invite students, faculty, staff and community members to join the conversation.
Discussion panelists include:
- David Goodman, Vice Chair, Andrew Goodman Foundation
- David Greenberg, Professor of Media Studies and History, Rutgers, John Lewis biographer
- Christabel Cruz, Director of NEW Leadership® at the Rutgers Eagleton Center for American Women and Politics.
- Lorraine Minnite, Associate Professor of Public Policy Rutgers-Camden, voting rights expert.
- Chenjerai Kumanyika, Assistant Professor, Journalism and Media Studies, Rutgers, Peabody winning producer of Uncivil podcast and social justice advocate
- Tim Smith, Rigged Executive Producer
Following the event, the libraries will provide a link to a recording of the session and make it available to the Rutgers community. It’s an opportunity to energize students, faculty, staff and the wider community at this critical moment in our nation’s history when we’re isolated from each other but eager to join in discussions about the issues shaping our collective future.
Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, says of RIGGED, “I cannot think of a better moment for this powerful film. It reinforces the reality of voter suppression, which I think so many more Americans have begun to recognize and understand.”
To register to watch the video and participate in the Zoom event, click here. We will provide a Zoom link to registrants 48 hours before the event.
To learn more about Election 2020, see the Library’s new LibGuide, produced by Sherri Farber and Nancy Kranich.
For more information, contact Nancy Kranich, email@example.com
RIGGED Trailer – 2 mins.
Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook - with Jeffrey Wright (NOV 2019)