Borrowing Privileges and Loan Periods
Borrowing privileges and loan periods vary depending on your status with Rutgers. Select your group for detailed information about your privileges.
- Rutgers students, faculty, and staff (including faculty emeriti, visiting scholars/faculty and students, and RBHS volunteer faculty)
- Alumni, guests, and visitors
- Students/faculty from Rowan University and Camden County College
- Students/faculty from some other regional institutions may be eligible for access, but levels of access vary. Contact your institution's library, call any Rutgers circulation desk, or Ask Us if you have questions about your eligibility for library privileges.
You can return Rutgers books to any Rutgers University Library, regardless of your checkout location. You can also request delivery of our materials to any Rutgers library, or a number of other Rutgers affiliated locations, regardless of the item's "home" library. Do this by logging in to QuickSearch, searching for the item, and clicking Request. The item will be delivered to your pickup library within 2-5 business days.
Access to Electronic Resources
Rutgers students, faculty, staff (including faculty emeriti, visiting scholars/students, and RBHS volunteer faculty) can use licensed electronic resources, such as subscription databases, from off-campus.
Most other user groups are not eligible for off-campus access, but if you are on-site at any Rutgers library, you can use a library computer to access these resources regardless of your status with Rutgers. You can register to use guest computers for a limited amount of time per day by bringing a photo ID to any Rutgers library circulation or reference desk.
There are many databases that are free for use without subscription or institutional affiliation. Visit our list of these resources.
Any visitor to a Rutgers University Library has access to on-site use of most library materials.
- Dana and Smith libraries (Newark) and Robeson (Camden) require photo ID for building entry
- All libraries are restricted to Rutgers students/faculty/staff after 10pm
- Some locations may have restricted access during exam periods
Advance arrangements may be necessary to use materials in the Special Collections and University Archives and the History of Medicine collections. The Library Annex is closed to visitors, but materials can be requested via QuickSearch.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Article Delivery
Need a book, article, book chapter, microform, conference proceeding, or other material that we don't have? Students, faculty, and staff from Rutgers, Rowan, and Camden County College can use our Interlibary Loan services (including E-ZBorrow and UBorrow). Article Delivery also includes scans of non-circulating print journals from Rutgers. Choose an option below or learn more about ILL and Article Delivery.