Apply for OAT Authoring Award
This $3,500 award is for the creation and development of a completely new Open Educational Resource (OER) textbook by writing, developing, and creating the textbook and any relevant supplemental materials. Open textbooks are licensed by authors and publishers to be freely used and adapted. They may be downloaded, edited, and distributed at no cost (Open Education Network). Awardees will make their textbook free to use with a Creative Commons license, and will provide access to it through an open repository, such as Rutgers SOAR.
All Rutgers University faculty (Camden, New Brunswick, Newark, & RBHS) are eligible to apply. The award proposal should demonstrate a direct benefit to Rutgers courses, programs, and departments.
Applications for the current cycle will be accepted January 23, 2023 – May 17, 2023 (11:59 pm).
Successful open textbook authoring proposals will be evaluated according to the following Guidelines. Evaluation factors can be found here.
- Demonstrated need for developing OER in that particular subject, due to lack of sufficient existing OER
- Applicants are encouraged to include additional documentation, as needed. Examples may include searches in OER repositories, evidence of review of existing OER materials, etc.)
- Pedagogical benefits to students
- Potential student savings, if this open textbook is used as an alternative to traditional course texts in that subject area
- Department or cross-department/school/campus collaboration
- Accessibility design
- Approach to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Ability to complete the project by July 31, 2024
In addition to $3,500, Rutgers University Libraries will provide orientation, copyright/creative commons license guidance, and access to a stable repository for preserving and accessing the open textbook.