EndNote is a citation management tool. The University Libraries are now licensed to provide access to EndNote for all Rutgers affiliated students, faculty, and staff.
To download EndNote, please choose any of the following versions:
EndNote X8 for Windows (A Graphical Guide to EndNote Installation on Windows)
EndNote X8 for Mac
To ensure successful download of EndNote, please make sure that:
- You have permission to download any new program onto your office computer/laptop. If you don't have it, please contact your local IT people for help.
- When installing EndNote for Windows, you save the zipped file and then unzip it (extracting all).
- If you are a distance learner and are having difficulty downloading EndNote, please call: 973-972-4358 in Newark, or 732-235-7604 in New Brunswick for further instructions.
EndNote has three platforms: EndNote desktop (often referred to as EndNote) for Windows and Mac which must be downloaded to your computer/laptop, EndNote basic (also known as EndNote online or EndNote Web), and EndNote for iPad app.
EndNote is a program that helps users collect and organize references from online or other sources, create a searchable personal database of references, find fulltext articles, manage and annotate PDF files, cite references while writing a paper, create bibliographies formatted in a preferred style, and more.
EndNote basic is a web-based version of EndNote designed to work in the cloud. Users who work from multiple computers, or need to work collaboratively may find EndNote basic very useful. EndNote and EndNote basic are designed to work in concert although each can be used independently. By using EndNote basic users can synchronize their libraries with EndNote desktop providing a secure backup and the ability to work on projects from any computer with an internet connection. Users can also share their libraries with colleagues or fellow students. A free EndNote basic account can be created from within EndNote or Web of Science, or at MyEndNoteWeb.com.
EndNote for iPad app is free for download from the Apple Store to all EndNote users. The app allows users to find, store, create, and share references anywhere and anytime. It also enables PDF annotations directly within the app.
Users can synchronize their EndNote library across desktop, iPad and online platforms.
For news, tips, and answers to commonly asked questions about EndNote, please check our EndNote Blog.
If you need additional information or troubleshooting assistance, or if you would like to arrange a training session, contact your campus librarians by emailing to email@example.com.
For RBHS users, you may contact:
- RBHS in New Brunswick, Yingting Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org (732-235-7604)
- RBHS in Newark, Stephen Modica, email@example.com (973-972-4358)