During the time Rutgers University Libraries physical buildings are closed due to COVID-19, many print books under copyright held by RUL are temporarily available only to Rutgers students, faculty, and staff on the HathiTrust platform. After linking to HathiTrust, current students, faculty, and staff only may log in with NetID and password to access these books, which are labelled Temporary Access. Click Temporary Access and then click Check Out to read these books in your browser.
The HathiTrust Digital Library includes millions of books, government publications, dissertations, journals, and other published and unpublished materials digitized from collections in libraries around the world. As you search HathiTrust, there are three different types of books you will find: Temporary Access, Full View, and Limited (search-only).
Temporary Access Books
During the time Rutgers University Libraries physical buildings are closed due to COVID-19, many print books under copyright held by RUL are temporarily available to Rutgers students, faculty, and staff on the HathiTrust platform. After linking to HathiTrust, you must log in with your NetID and password to access these books. To read a Temporary Access book, click the Temporary Access link, and on the next screen, click Check Out.
- Checkouts are in one-hour increments and will auto-renew if you are actively paging through the book.
- You must read the book in your web browser. The full text of Temporary Access books cannot be downloaded.
- Rutgers has access to a limited number of electronic copies of each book (this number generally equals the number of print copies owned by Rutgers). If all HathiTrust electronic copies are checked out, you will not be able to check out the electronic book until an electronic copy is returned.
- Please return books as soon as you are finished with them so others can access the books.
Full View Books
There are many free full-text books that are always available from HathiTrust. These books have links labelled Full View, and they are fully searchable and readable on HathiTrust with no limitations on the number of copies. Rutgers affiliates with NetID's can log in to gain access to additional features for these free books, including full-text download and the ability to create permanent collections.
Limited (search-only) Books
There are some books labelled Limited (search-only). These are books that Rutgers cannot access because they are protected by copyright, and we do not own their print equivalent.
Search tips are associated with each of the search options. A more general Help link is also included in the menu bar at the top of every page, and an FAQ for users at Rutgers is available at https://libguides.rutgers.edu/htfaq.
User tools and features
- “Cite this” option for APA and MLA formats
- Export to EndNote
- Collection Builder
- Mobile version
Pre-1500 to 21st century.
Books, government publications, dissertations, journals, and other materials.
Print counterpart or
Print versions of some publications included in the HathiTrust Digital Library may be found by searching QuickSearch.
Vendor/electronic presentation provider