Rutgers Restricted Access
India, Raj and Empire is a collection of digitized primary sources depicting, from a British colonial perspective, the history of South Asia (primarily India) between the foundation of the East India Company in 1615 and the granting of independence to India and Pakistan in 1947. Material types include diaries and journals, official and private papers, letters, sketches, paintings, histories, and literary works. The database is divided into topical areas to aid in browsing:
- The East India Company: Government and Administration c.1750-1857
- Agriculture and Trade c.1750-1857
- Society, Travel and Leisure c.1750-1857
- The Mysore and Maratha Wars
- Indian Uprising 1857-58
- The Raj: British Government and Administration of India after 1858
- Agriculture and Trade after 1858
- Society, Travel and Leisure after 1858
- India: Literature, History and Culture
Materials in this collection are from the manuscript collections of the National Library of Scotland.
Type of coverage
Primary source documents.
Vendor/electronic presentation provider
Adam Matthew Digital