Rutgers Restricted Access
Micromedex, Red Book
IBM Micromedex is a reference database for evidence-based drug, disease, and toxicology information. Rutgers University Libraries subscribes to the academic version of Micromedex and to the add-on tool Red Book, which provides drug manufacturer and pricing information. Red Book can be found in the “Other Tools” dropdown menu.
Micromedex offers searching by drug, disease, or toxicology. In addition, the Ask Watson search uses artificial intelligence to produce answers to simple drug reference questions.
Other features of Micromedex include:
- Drug Interactions—Checks drug interactions, effects, and clinical significance. Also has option to search for drug-allergy interactions.
- IV Compatibility—Checks IV Compatibility. This tool is powered by Trissel’s 2 Clinical Pharmaceutics Database.
- Drug ID—Allows searching for drugs by imprint code(s) or description (color, shape, pattern); includes some images in results.
- Drug Comparison—Compares dosing, administration, indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse effects, and interactions.
- Tox & Drug Product Lookup—Provides information about drug products, commercial and household products and chemicals, plant and animal substances, and slang terms. This tool also offers the option of searching the Martindale database for globally distributed drug products.
Red Book is a tool for drug pricing, drug data, and manufacturer information. It allows one to search for prescription or over the counter medications, nutraceuticals, bulk chemicals, medical devices or supplies by product name or manufacturer. One can also a specific active ingredient or by a specific code (such as NDC, UPC, or HRI). Red Book data can be exported as CSV or XLS.
Type of coverage
Provides evidence-based drug information.
Vendor/electronic presentation provider
IBM Watson Health