The Philosopher's Index provides indexing and abstracts from books and journals of philosophy and related fields. It covers the areas of ethics, aesthetics, social philosophy, political philosophy, epistemology, logic, and metaphysics, as well as material on the philosophy of law, religion, science, history, education, and language.
Help is available via a link in the upper right corner of every screen.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
User tools and features
- Journal alerts and Search history alerts.
- Compatible with RefWorks.
- Saved searches. Free My EBSCOHost account required.
- A visual search tab allows the user to search efficiently across broad subjects, and then returns a visual map of results, organized by topic.
- iPhone and Android applications.
1940 to present.
Philosopher's Index on-line includes abstracts from over 550 journals, from more than 40 countries, in English, Czech, Dutch, Flemish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Romanian, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, and other languages. Core journals are covered comprehensively; more peripheral journals are covered selectively. The database includes a variety of types of materials including journal articles, book reviews, anthologies, and monographs.
Type of coverage
Bibliographic citations with abstracts provided by the item authors [with some links to full text].
Print counterpart or
The Philosopher's Index
Vendor/electronic presentation provider