Fines and Fees
Overdue notices are sent when materials are 7 and 21 days overdue. Recalled books and course reserves incur a fine:
- Overdue recalled books: $5 per day, to a maximum of $50
- Overdue course reserves: $1 per hour, to a maximum of $50
After 90 days overdue (or 7 days for ILL items), you will receive a replacement bill for the average replacement and processing cost of $102 per book (non-book materials such as equipment may have different replacement costs). You may contact the circulation department of any Rutgers library for the actual replacement cost of lost items.
If you have fines and/or replacement bills, your library privileges may be suspended. The university reserves the right to hold transcripts and diplomas if you do not pay your library fines. Unpaid fines may be referred to a collection agency, which would incur an additional cost to you.
Interlibrary Loan Policies (including E-ZBorrow and UBorrow)
We do not borrow textbooks, test prep materials, e-books, or materials in reference or on reserve at a library on your campus. We also cannot borrow the same item on your behalf more than twice per year. If this does not meet your needs, consider contacting a subject specialist in your area to discuss the possibility of acquiring the item for our collections.
The lending library sets the loan period, renewal policies, and may also set special conditions such as "in library use only." ILL books are held for 14 days, and if not picked up are returned to the lending library.
ILL is based on reciprocal and cooperative agreements with other libraries. These partnerships were formed with the understanding that the individual borrower is responsible for returning borrowed mateirals within established time frames in good condition. Failure to do so jeopardizes our ability to continue cooperative arrangements with these institutions in future.
E-ZBorrow is a service of the PALCI consortium. Learn more about PALCI.
UBorrow is the reciprocal borrowing program of the Big Ten Academic Alliance. Learn more about BTAA Libraries.
We also lend materials to other libraries via ILL.
Students, faculty and staff at Rutgers may recall items needed for research. To place a recall, log in to your QuickSearch account, search for the item, and click Request. In many cases, requesting a copy from E-ZBorrow is faster than requesting a recall. E-ZBorrow book typically take 3-5 days to arrive.
If a book you checked out is recalled, you will receive a recall notice with a new due date. You are guaranteed a minimum loan period of 14 days.
Overdue recalled books are subject to a $5/day fine up to $50 will be assessed and borrowing privileges suspended for failure to return recalled material on time.
Items out on Interlibrary Loan can only be recalled by faculty members for course reserve; contact your local circulation desk for assistance.
To renew library materials, log in to your QuickSearch account to view your list of loans. Items eligible for renewal will have a Renew button. Materials may be renewed for the same time period as the original loan.
You may not renew library materials that have been recalled, or if your borrowing privileges have been suspended.
As a registered borrower with the Rutgers University Libraries you are expected to:
- Account for all items checked out to your account. Don't loan your Rutgers ID or your library materials to others. Report lost or stolen cards to the RUConnection Office and at the circulation desk of any Rutgers library.
- Know due dates and return or renew materials on time. Check your QuickSearch account for a list of your loans and their due dates. You will receive an email if an item you have is due soon.
- Read your email messages and library notices. If you're going to be away from campus for an extended period, you may want to return all library materials before you leave. Library fines will not be waived if you fail to read email and respond to recall and overdue notices.
- Pick up materials you requested when they arrive at your pickup library. You will be notified by email when materials from other Rutgers libraries or interlibrary loan items are available. Materials are held for 14 days. If your need for requested materials changes, please cancel your request.
- Care for library materials. You will be held responsible for materials returned damaged. If the book you wish to charge out is already damaged, bring it to the attention of circulation desk staff, who will make note of the damage so that you will not be held responsible.
- Maintain a current address and email address with the university. Library notices are sent to your official @rutgers.edu email address. If you do not regularly read your official Rutgers email, set up a delivery email at http://netid.rutgers.edu. Click on Manage Email Account and enter a delivery email address where you want your library notices delivered.
Certain materials must be used within the library. Although they cannot be checked out, most of these items can be transferred to another Rutgers library for in-house use. You can place a request by logging in to QuickSearch, searching for the item, and clicking Request.