Rutgers Restricted Access
Nineteenth Century Index
A multi-disciplinary database providing bibliographic access-more than 20,000,000 records-to books, periodical and newspaper articles, government publications, and archival collections. It is probably the most comprehensive source for English language material printed in the 19th Century. C19 combines a variety of print and digital resources into one database, and also allows limited searching of specialized sub-collections. The Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue, for example seeks to include all printed books published in Britain, its colonies and the United States of America, all printed books in English wherever published, and all translations from English.
C19 also provides indexing of the Times of London and hundreds of British and American periodicals, congressional and parliamentary publications. In addition, C19 provides bibliographic access to several periodical and document collections which Rutgers has acquired, thus allowing effective cross searching.
Collections indexed include:
- Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue
- Nineteenth Century Microfiche Project
- American Periodical Series
- British Periodicals I & II
- Periodicals Index Online
- Poole's Index to Periodical Literature
- Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
- U.S. Congressional Serial Set
- Archive Finder
- Palmer's Index to the Times [of London]
- Dictionary of Nineteenth Century Journalism
- American State Papers, 1789-1838
Context-sensitive help available at each screen, top right.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
User tools and features
Includes a "My Archive" where users can register (with user name and password, after first creating a profile including e-mail address) to store searches.
1800-1900 (with additional coverage in some units as early as 1790 and as late as 1919).
Irregular, with the recent pattern suggesting one or two releases per year.
Draws on a variety of print and digital resources, including periodical and newspaper indexes, indexes to government publications, a directory of archival collections, and a catalog of books published during the period.
Type of coverage
Print counterpart or
Print counterparts include:
- Poole's Index to Periodical Literature (REF AI3.P7 1963 in Alexander, Camden, and Dana)
- Palmer's Index to the Times Newspaper (REF AI21.T5 in Alexander and Dana)
- Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900 (REF Z2005.H6 in Alexander, Camden, and Dana)
- Subject Catalogue of the House of Commons Parliamentary Papers, 1801-1900 (DOCREFZ2019.C63 1988 in Alexander)
- Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue (REF Z2001.N72 1984-partial set-in Alexander);
- Directory of Archives and Manuscript Repositories in the United States (REF CD3020.D49 1988 in Alexander and Camden)
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (REF Z6620.U5N3 in Alexander, Camden, Dana, and Douglass).
Digital Counterparts include:
- American Periodical Series (RU-ONLINE)
- Periodicals Index Online (RU-ONLINE)
- American State Papers, 1789-1838 (RU-ONLINE)
- United States Congressional Serials Set, 1817-1901 (RU-ONLINE)
- British Periodicals Collection I & II (not held at Rutgers).
Vendor/electronic presentation provider