Application and Criteria
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed. The application process will re-open in October 2018. For updates and more information, please subscribe to the OAT mailing list.
October - Applications open
December - Applications close
First week of January - Notifications will be emailed to award recipients
Applications will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Total dollars saved by students in the course (compared to the same course that uses traditional textbooks)
- Total number of students impacted
- Articulated plan to assess impact and quality of student learning and impact on textbook affordability
- Feasibility that others at Rutgers might adopt the same free, open, and/or low-cost textbook alternatives* for their sections
- Sustainability (the possibility of continuing to use the new material(s) over a sustained period of time)
- Departmental support, such as a letter of support from the department chair
- Broad representation across disciplines and departments in Rutgers University–Camden, Rutgers University–New Brunswick, Rutgers University–Newark, and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
* Free, open, and affordable textbooks are materials that may be open access, free multimedia on the open web, or part of the Rutgers University Libraries’ e-resource offerings (which are freely accessible for Rutgers affiliates).