Memorial Hospital of Burlington County was established in 1880 in Mt. Holly, NJ, in a small rented house with seven beds. The hospital moved to a permanent site a few years later and by 1927, a new 100-bed unit was constructed. In 1930, a Nurses' Training School is established. Groundbreaking for a new 150-bed wing was made in 1951. The hospital continued to grow and expand until in 1998, when the Memorial Hospital Alliance of which Memorial Hospital was a part, joined in partnership with West Jersey Health System to form Virtua Health.
Scope and Content Note
The records of Memorial Hospital of Burlington County date from 1880 to 1963, with gaps in the holdings. The collection includes patient registers, a minute book of the Board of Managers, a Managers Roll Book, and Photostats of two founding documents. The collection is not divided into series, but arranged chronologically or by size. An assortment of medical instruments were received with the collection and separated to the Artifact Collection.
Provenance: Gift of Memorial Hospital of Burlington County, May 22, 1997 and August 26, 1998
Size of Collection: 2 linear feet
|1||Patient Register, 1912-1913|
Patient Register, 1914-1916
Patient Register, 1918-1920
Patient Register, 1920-1922
|2||Patient Register, 1929-1932|
Prospectus for Establishing a General Hospital in Mount Holly, 1880 (Photostat)
List of Articles and Donations ... 1881 (Photostat)
|3||Patient Register, 1922-1928|
Board of Managers. Minute Book, 1892-1895
Managers Roll Book, 1941-1963