- Alexander Library
- Art Library
- Carr Library
- Chang Library
- Douglass Library
- East Asian Library
- Library of Science & Medicine
- Math & Physics Library
- Performing Arts Library
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Alexander Library: Closed
- Art Library: Closed
- Carr Library: Closed
- Chang Library: Closed
- Douglass Library: Closed
- Library of Science and Medicine (LSM): Closed
- Math & Physics Library: Closed
- School of Management and Labor Relations (SMLR) Library: Closed
Search Tools and Finding Aids
There are a number of ways to search for materials across and within our collections. In many cases, you'll need to consult more than one resource in order to conduct a comprehensive search.
Searching for books and other printed materials
QuickSearch contains records for most of our print holdings (books; newspapers and serials; microforms; some audio-visual materials; and some maps). You can search for SC/UA materials by doing either a basic (keyword) or advanced search, then using the filters to limit by Library (Special Collections-University Archives) and by Resource Type (books, maps, etc.). Please note that archival collections may be found under "manuscripts," "archival collections," and "other" (select all three checkboxes).
Please be cautioned that some materials related to SC/UA collections might be held in other Rutgers libraries, such as Paul Robeson's audiovisual recordings. Contact us if you have questions about specific collections.
Manuscript, archival collections, and individual items
Most of our manuscript and archival collections have finding aids (also called collection guides or inventories). These are descriptions of a collection's contents. The format and level of description varies, ranging from summary descriptions to detailed inventories.
- Most descriptions are available online through QuickSearch
- An increasing number of our online finding aids can be searched across collections in ArchivesSpace
- Some collections are described only in on-site resources such as card catalogs, printed finding aids, and checklists
Contact us for assistance or to inquire about collections not yet represented online.