The interdisciplinary field of digital humanities (DH) began to be defined as such in the late 1990s, emerging out of the more narrowly defined field of humanities computing. Scholarship in DH brings digital tools to bear on traditional humanistic areas of study and prompts critical reflection on the digital mediation of modern life. At the present moment, there are at least five approaches:
- computational methods in the humanities,
- [new] media studies,
- digital pedagogy,
- digitization projects aimed at serving particular groups of scholars, and
- examinations of how technology is reshaping the humanities.
In the best traditions of the humanities, DH work can lead to new perspectives, new methodologies, and new ideas that should be of interest to all humanists.
The Rutgers University Libraries have established a Digital Humanities Working Group (DHWG) to facilitate the creation of DH projects which will enable new modes of humanities research and new ways of thinking about humanities. The DHWG comprises librarians from the Camden, New Brunswick, and Newark campuses and offers support and resources to the Rutgers community.
With the collaboration of the Digital Humanities Initiative, the libraries recently opened a DH Lab in Alexander Library. This space is available to members of the Rutgers DH community for use in project consultations, teaching, workshops and lectures.
Digital humanities projects hosted by the libraries include:
- The Video Mosaic Collaborative
- John Milton and the Cultures of Print Digital Exhibition
- The Badian Roman Coins Portal
- Center for Women's Global Leadership Poster Collection
Digital Humanities Resources at Rutgers
- Digital Humanities Initiative (DH@RU)
- DH Lab in Alexander Library
- Digital Humanities LibGuide
- Digital Studies Center
- The Mid-Atlantic Regional Center for the Humanities
For questions or more information, please e-mail the Digital Humanities Working Group or your campus contact:
Digital Humanities Working Group
Zara Wilkinson, Reference/Instruction Librarian email@example.com
Krista White, Digital Humanities Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
Francesca Giannetti, Digital Humanities Librarian email@example.com
Last updated: April 26, 2017